Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week 1 - Erika Kubik


My mother always said "good things come to those who wait" and that saying is perfect for this rotation. I have wanted to be a part of this rotation since first learning about it before I got into veterinary school so the one day delay in Charlottetown and 25 hour delay in Paris was nothing compared to the five years I have waited, especially since being selected to participate in the Small Dairy Holdership rotation in December of 2009.
Up to this point in my life I have never been outside of North America, so being in Africa is a long distance away. However despite being so far away there are several similaries between Kenya and Canada. These include from the perpective for veterinary medicine, mastitis, nutrition, and reproduction being important topics, money from the monertary perpective and family from the moral values side of things. It is all of these similarties that bring myself and Farmer's Helping Farmers to this beautiful country.
One of the ways Farmers Helping Farmers does this is through seminars, which are held not only when Dr. VanLeeuwan is here but also an employee who does talks throughout the year to answer any questions and to follow up on the advice given. All of the farmers from each of the dairies, whether it be Gakindu, Othaya or Ex-Lawa, are all very appreciative and inquisitive on the causes and prevention of diseases, such as tick-borne disease, retained placeta and mastitis.
I am very grateful to Farmers Helping Farmers for allowing me the opportunity to not only interact with such great people in such a fantastic place but also discuss and inform others on topics, I myself, find very interesting.

No comments: